- What is your name and where do you call home? My name is Arlene Lagos and I live in Medway, MA
- Do you have a pen name? I don’t have a pen name
- What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 20 or fewer words, what would you say? “Beyond Earth” just launched two weeks ago. It’s a young adult science-fiction fantasy novella
- Is the above book part of a series? Yes, it is Book I in the Beyond Earth Series. Book II “Beyond Planets” will be launching in August.
- What or who inspired you to start writing? And how long have you been writing? I’ve been writing my whole life, mostly poems, plays and short stories. When I moved to Charleston I began writing a tv pilot and a few short films. I didn’t write my first novel until two years ago and it was “Beyond Earth”.
- How did you come up with the cover? Who designed the cover of your book(s)? I was looking for a model for my cover and a friend of mine suggested her friend’s daughter. The minute I saw a picture of her (Rayn) I knew she was the one to play the character. My good friend Angela Cannistraro took the photos of both the cover and of my headshot. Then my boss Almont Green designed the cover for me!
- Did you listen to any particular songs while writing your book(s)? There’s always Aerosmith playing in the background. In fact, you’ll find a lot of Aerosmith references throughout the book as they are my favorite band still.
- How did you come up with the title for your book(s)? I went through so many different titles. Then finally I asked some teenagers I used to teach theatre too and they said, “keep it simple, how about just calling it Beyond Earth?”
- Do you have a book trailer? If so where can we watch it? Yes, I have a book trailer, the URL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2IyOtVOyug
- Do you prefer e-books, paperbacks, hard-covers or audio-books? I like the convenience of an eBook, but nothing beats holding a book in your hands and that new book smell of course!!!!
- Are you a self-published/Indie author? Yes!
- If you’re a self-published/Indie author what made you go that route instead of the traditional publishing route? The industry is so crazy right now. I didn’t want to spend the next year of my life begging people to read a query when I could spend that time begging readers to read my book! I think people don’t realize how much they really can do on their own. It’s a lot of hard work and you need to be committed; but if you are, you’ll see the fruits of your labour.
- Have you ever read a book more than once? And if so what was it? “The Alchemist” and “Tipping Point”. I’ve read them both several times. “The Alchemist” moves me and the “Tipping Point” really makes me think.
- What is your opinion of novellas? I think every new author should consider starting with a novella. All the great writers of the past started that way. In my opinion, readers are more likely to take a chance on you if it’s a quick and easy read with low prices and little investment time. Then if they like you, they’ll come back for more.
- Have you ever read a book just based on its cover? Absolutely. Covers are very important in this highly visual world! That’s why I put so much time and energy into my cover. I think that aspect is often overlooked and that’s another reason I self-published. I wanted more creative control.
- What is your favorite film based on a book? That’s a tough one. My first instinct is to say “Hunger Games”, it was really done well.
- What is your favorite book genre at the moment? I love to write Sci-Fi but I love to read Historical Fiction.
- What books have made it onto your wish list recently? And why? “30 Pieces of Silver” was recommended to me by my brother-in-law and we both always enjoy the same books so if he is loving it then I know I will. I also want to read “Creatura” by Nely Cab and “Inferno” by Dan Brown.
- What book are you reading at the moment? And in what format? I actually just finished “Wanted: Wife” by Gwen Jones on my nook and plan on starting “Creatura” next.
- If you could invite any four (4) celebrities (alive or dead) to your dinner party, who would you invite and why? Johnny Depp because he’s a creative genius, Steven Tyler because he’s a musical genius, Joss Whedon because he’s a creative genius and because he believes in writing strong female characters and I want him to direct “Beyond Earth” as a feature film, and finally Alice Paul who of course is no longer with us but she was a strong voice in the Women’s Suffrage Movement and a key player in us winning our right to vote. I wish I could’ve met her.
- What’s the best advice that you have been given when it comes to writing? Keep writing.
- Do you have any hobbies that aren’t related to reading & writing? I am a karaoke junkie (I love to sing) and I also love to dance although I don’t move quite as well as I used too.
- Where can your readers follow you? See below!
Goodreads author page: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5819544.Arlene_Lagos
YouTube Book Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2IyOtVOyug